; How To Start Karting: What karting equipment do I need - from MotorsportAds

What karting equipment do I need?

Before your first race, you will need race kit. In basic form, this means helmet, overalls, gloves and racing boots (that cover the ankle) as an absolute minimum. Rib protectors and neck braces are optional but a waterproof oversuit for wet weather is particularly useful!

How much you spend is really down to you. Racesuits, which are not the same as the fireproof suits used in other forms of motorsport, can be obtained from about £85, with boots from about £35 and gloves from £20. Good quality helmets will cost from £200 upwards, and note the EC standards stocked at motorcycles shops are not permitted for racing. Youngsters should take care to buy a good lightweight well-fitting helmet. Our advice is to buy the best kit you can sensibly afford. We hope you will never need it, but if you do, you'll be glad you didn't skimp.

Racewear suppliers can be useful sources of advice about race equipment and make sure you check about longevity, as things like helmets and overalls have a well-defined legal life. Youíll find supplier ads in most of the motorsport press, but thereís nowhere better to start than the advertisers on MotorsportAds! Here's some useful suppliers:

MSAR safety - specialists in competitor protective equipment 
MotorsportRacewear.co.uk - new and pre-owed racewear 

If youíre planning to run the kart yourself, youíre required to carry an approved size fire extinguisher in your car or van, and youíll also need a decent set of tools, including a socket set, screwdrivers, pliers, spanners, plug-spanner, Allen key set, and a tyre gauge and foot pump. Youíll also need a kart trolley or stand to wheel the kart about and work on it, and spares and consumables including fuel (donít forget 2-stroke oil to mix with petrol if youíve a 2-stroke engined kart!), chain spray, spare spark plug, and cleaning fluids and rags. Plus wet weather tyres, and a chain and sprockets so that you can change the gearing for different tracks. Youíll need a transponder sooner or later. This is a small box fixed to your seat, that signals to the lap timing equipment every time you cross the start line, but most clubs keep a small quantity to hire out for the day.

Karts will generally fit in the back of a decent sized estate car, but many people find that using a van and/or a small trailer is easier.

How do I get my karting licence?
Which kart class is right for me?
Where do I race?
Do I buy a kart and run it myself, or hire?
What karting equipment do I need?
How do I get sponsorship for karting?
How do I improve my karting skills?
Where can I find out more?

Change Currency
Rally Cars for sale, Buy or sell everything for Motorsports